It took me a while to get in to green smoothies, the thought of adding spinach to my morning smoothie really didn’t appeal! But now I love them, full of nutrients and a great start to the day. Here’s the recipe for my favourite green smoothie of the moment!
Ingredients (makes 2 glasses)
- A large handful of spinach
- 1/3 of a cucumber or half a small cucumber
- 1/2 a frozen banana
- Seeds from half a vanilla pod
- 1 tbls of almond butter
- 1-1 1/2 cups of almond milk
- One capsule of probiotic powder (simply open the capsule and add the powder into your smoothie) – optional
Add everything to your blender and blend (I love how simple it is to make a smoothie!).
Nicky’s nutritional facts
As a kid you’re always told to eat your greens and there’s a reason, they’re packed full of nutrients. Spinach is high in calcium and vitamin K, both are important in bone health. Other nutrients include iron, folic acid, vitamin B6, beta-cartone and vitamin C.
Banana’s are full of vitamin B6 and potassium. With their sugar and fibre content, they make a good energy boost.
- I use a high speed blender for my green smoothies to make sure all that spinach is nicely blended.
- I use measuring cups; 1 cup is 250ml
- I don’t like my smoothie too sweet so I only add half a banana, if you want it a bit sweeter add a whole banana.
- If you don’t have a frozen banana just add a banana and then a handful of ice.
- If you don’t have vanilla pods, you can use half a teaspoon of vanilla extract instead.
The Natural Medicines Database https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com