This sauce is really simple to make and there are some short cuts as well if you want a really quick and easy sauce. I use this for pasta, I mix it with quinoa and I use it to make a vegetable lasagne too. And it’s also my topping when I make pizzas.
1 punnet of baby plum tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
Basil leaves and stalks
1 tin of plum or chopped tomatoes (you can also use pasata)
A tablespoon of olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees; I use a fan assisted oven
2. Wash and place the baby plum tomatoes on a small baking tray
3. Prick the tomatoes, add one clove of garlic (finely sliced) and some basil leaves (a small handful)
4. Pop in the oven for approximately 20 minutes
5. In a saucepan put the remaining clove of garlic with 3 basil stalks finely chopped and the olive oil. Gently heat; don’t burn the garlic
6. Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes
7. Once both sets of tomatoes are done, combine in the pan and blend until smooth
If you want a really quick pasta sauce I sometimes just use the roasted tomatoes and blend; this will give you enough sauce for 1-2 servings. Alternatively you can just do the tomatoes in the pan using the tinned tomatoes.